Signs that you should clean your dryer vents.
Mississauga dryer vent cleaning.
Signs that you should clean your dryer vents
Your first hint that you need to check your vents is when your clothing doesn’t dry after a normal drying cycle. If you encounter any other issues, contact a professional right away, to inspect your venting.
Look out for the following signs of a clogged dryer vent:
- A musty odor is discovered in the clothing following the drying cycle
- Clothes seem unusually hot to the touch
- Excessive heat is noticed in the room in which the washer and dryer are operated
- The dryer vent hood flap does not open properly when you use the dryer (this is the slitted vent opening to the exterior of your home)
- Debris is noticed within the outside dryer vent opening
- Large amounts of lint build-up in the lint trap during each cycle
- Odor noticed from dryer sheets used during the drying cycle
How to prevent a dryer fire
You can do your part as a homeowner to prevent a dryer fire taking place in your home through proper installation, cleaning, and maintenance. Even if your dryer seems to be running fine right now, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Take these steps to prevent a dryer fire:
- Read the manufacturers’ instructions and warnings upon installation and be sure that your dryer is installed by a knowledgeable professional and that the correct electrical plug and outlet are used
- Clean the dryer lint filter before and after each load of laundry
- Clean the filter with a nylon brush at least once every six (6) months or more often if it becomes clogged
- Completely clean lint out of the vent pipe every three (3) months
- Check occasionally through the venting system behind the dryer to ensure it isn’t damaged
- Put a cover on outside wall dampers to keep out the elements
- Ensure the outdoor vent cover opens when the dryer is on
What can you do right now?
- Take a look inside the venting from the outside of your house
- Check your lint traps inside the dryer
- Consider having a professional clean all your dryer venting just to be sure you and your family are safe.
- Back to Duct cleaning Mississauga.